Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Barriga Llena, Corazon Contento*



I love getting ready for a party.
I love letting the ideas brew and simmer;


 thinking of ways to make the party fun,
mixing up new flavors.


I get into a rhythm of chopping and slicing,
sliding tomatoes and avocados into the bowl with a swoosh.

And don't even get me started on baking!
I love the softness of the cake crumbs and the subtle, pretty colors of their wrappers.


And I love celebrating other people's holidays!
I just celebrated Mexico's Independence Day.
(The Central American countries celebrate their independence on the same day, too.)


What better excuse to get all my friends together,
surround ourselves with streamers and paper flowers,
and share food that made our taste buds tingle and our stomachs leap for joy?
Watermelon spiked with chile,
crispy sopes topped with crumbly cheese,
sticky sweet tres leches cake.
*A full tummy is a happy heart!


And so to all my Mexican and Guatemalan and Salvadoran friends,
I wish full stomachs, happy hearts,
peace and prosperity at home.


¡Felicidades!

What makes you happy about parties?
Have you ever celebrated with someone from another culture?
What did you learn?



No comments: