Thursday, June 23, 2011

Look Around You (175/365)




I took a ferry from the mainland to Vestmannaeyjar, a small chain of volcanic islands off of Iceland's south coast.  The route was dotted green and black islands, cliffs black with rich soil and hills green with turf.  As we came into the harbor at Heimay, the largest island, I was enthralled by the lava fields on the east side of the island.  Some lupines and moss sprouted from or clung to the red rocks, but otherwise it looked like Mars.  So that was what I thought Heimay was: red rocks, rough peaks.



When we entered the harbor I turned and faced the other side of the ferry. The bright blue sky sparkled against crisp, golden limestone; the green pastureland where sheep could graze rung the tops of the cliffs.  It was so utterly different from the other side of the harbor, so utterly beautiful.



So I learned an important lesson, for life and for Photo 365:  Observe all 360° of your surroundings. 



No comments: