Monday, March 1, 2010

I'll Try It

This weekend I decided to try my hand at making tortillas. I envisioned myself dexterously patting the balls of dough between my hands into shapes lovely, thin, at least sort of round. That didn't end up being the case: they stuck to my hands as I pressed them and I ended up with a pile of small, raggedy tortillas. They did taste good, though, and I'll probably make them again.


I also picked up some sushi from the grocery store.  I'm excited that there are actual sushi chefs who work in my store, next to the deli, and prepare it as we watch.  This wasn't my first time trying sushi, but I sampled a new roll with spicy tuna, crab, and asparagus.  Then I remember the first time I had sushi: my older, looked-up-to cousin was visiting and got some California rolls when we went to the store together. Obviously, I wanted to try them too, though I was a little nervous.  They were delicious, and I had no regrets.




What's the most daring thing you've ever eaten, or tried to cook? What was the result?
Is there a food or a recipe you're scared yet determined to try?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

questions. for me its probably raw oysters, which i ate (with difficulty) about twelve years ago.

turtle meat is a delicacy here, and i was given some by my brother in law a couple of years back, after he caught a few turtles. i was prcatically crying over the stove as i cooked it. and i couldnt get myself to eat it. just couldnt. it seemed too cruel.