Wednesday, April 11, 2012

What Glitters











"I’d rather live on the side of a mountain 
Than wander through canyons of concrete and steel."
John Denver, "I'd Rather Be a Cowboy"


I've always been as enamored of the cityscape's starlight as the emerald greens of the hiking trail.  I'm sure I pressed my nose into the bus's windowglass in excitement, fascination, and immediate love when my sixth grade class took our first trip to Broadway and the natural history museum. I felt as home in the city, right away, as I felt on horseback or salt marsh trails or the canopied, slick with mud, cicada-buzzing cross country course through the woods. I've never felt the need to choose, at peace with being neither a "city person" nor a "country person." This week my enthusiasm has been equal for the opalescent green beetle sunning itself on packed gravel of the creekside path, and for the skyline lights shimmering across the Steely Grey River. I'm glad I don't want to choose. I will revel in the side of the mountain and the canyons of concrete and steel - I am so grateful and so blessed by glimmering beauty of both.


No comments: