Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Break in the Rain










Yesterday evening I was surprised by rainfall. I had left my Irish conversation circle a few minutes early, and I stood in the threshold of the cultural center, my shoulder pressed into the partly open door, watching the rain fall heavily to the pavement. As soon as I opened the door I realized I had forgotten my umbrella; I took a picture of the rain splashing into a puddle and against a parked car before I decided that the rain wasn't letting up and I'd best be on my way. I was wearing an eyelet sweater and the raindrops found the holes. The water rolled down my face and pushed the beachy taste of sunblock (ironic!) into my mouth. 

I wasn't caught off guard when it rained again this evening. My coworkers and I were loading up supplies for a community forum. The rain quickened just as we were ready to leave, so we waited in the doorway for a few minutes before making a break for it. The road shone as my boss drove us to the auditorium. By the time our work was over, the sun was out again. I decided to walk home but stopped to enjoy a corner park. Through the tall grasses and rhododendrons I saw a boy reaching up into the branches of a tree and collecting something in his hands. I walked around the fence to the path, and climbed onto the rocks beneath that mulberry tree, reaching the berries he'd left. 


No comments: