Monday, March 28, 2011

Bedtime Snack (87/365)





It's Lent, and I gave up sweets, as usual.  There's really no vice that means so much to me.  Every year, though, I end up tweaking my Lenten fast a little bit and redefining the sacrifice.  For example, one year I developed a rabid taste for potato chips (hitherto regarded with complete indifference) and decided to give up snacks between meals.  One year I began eating bread with butter and cinnamon sugar (technically a breakfast food and therefore not dessert) each night, so I had to add breakfast-foods-in-hours-that-are-not-breakfast to the list of prohibited treats.  This year I've twice made the mistake of consuming half a sleeve of saltines in one sitting as I peruse the news about Mostest Favoritest of All Time Sports Team.   I've decided to fast from mindlessly eating foods while I'm at my computer.  Tonight I had a measured ration of four (or was it five?) saltines.  It doesn't sound reasonable when I write it out like that, but it seemed so at the time.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha. I love this picture and your post. I can so relate.

My Lenten fast is more black and white this year, literally. I gave up color photography. Except for Sundays when we don't fast. It's been challenging but rewarding.

Hang in there!