Monday, March 7, 2011

Proud Duck (66/365)





This blog post is a tribute to my best friend.  When we lived together in college, we had to walk around a little landscaped lake to get to our house on the far end of campus.  Ducks splashed there, and we sometimes stopped to watch them.  My friend especially loved it when they wriggled, under-and-out, through the water.  Sometimes they turned completely on end, feet and tail waving in the air above the surface.   These little rubber duckies are from her wedding shower.  We had a "rain shower" theme, with paper umbrellas in the cupcakes and flowers tucked into bright green galoshes.  Her other best friend and I set rubber ducks floating in her garden pond, where they bobbled in the late summer evening.

I took a handful of ducks as a souvenir.  They moved with me to grad school, and to my first apartment in Shrimp Town, and are now in the City of a Thousand Honks.  Today I talked to my best friend and we went over the guest list for her baby shower.  It had been a while since we had gotten to catch up and I heard about the baby doing a little dance in her belly and that her name is all picked out, though still a secret.  I told her about my hectic new job and the crazy honks of my city.  We hung up, I had dessert, and I wandered around the apartment a little bit.  I saw my little ducks at the edge of the tub, and I felt thankful and blessed, buoyed by our friendship once again.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

So cute, great story of friendship.