Saturday, April 25, 2009

Retrospective

Well, what a year it was!  My photo 365 project didn't quite turn out the way I wanted, but then again, my whole year took me on a journey I never expected.  I am simply in awe of the way 2008 unfolded, and though many days were difficult, I continue to discover the graces that were hidden along the way.

Unfortunately, there were days (weeks?) that my photos suffered.  When I left grad school and entered the work-a-day world, I found fewer opportunities to take photos.  I moved from the city and became a car owner (hmph). I wish that I had been brave enough to stop my car at the side of the road when I saw something to shoot, but as it was I just watched the scenes blur past my window.  That's something I hope to change in the future.




My year ended with a bang - or, rather, with a splash - when, in January, my camera went swimming in the puddle formed by a leaky water bottle in the bottom of my purse.  Death came suddenly to my little companion.

Since January, I've been on a photo hiatus.  It was nice to take a break, actually.  I got to reassess my motivations for learning photography and being a photographer, and remember the pleasure of taking pictures without pressure.

On Easter Monday, I treated myself to a feast and used my tax refund to invest in a new camera.  I've enjoyed getting to know it and have been pretty pleased with the photos I've gotten so far.

I want to keep up my blogging because I think it does motivate me to look for and take interesting shots, and to keep my eyes open.  I'm definitely ready to forgo the photo-a-day format, though. (At least until next year, perhaps?)  This year, I'm hoping to include more writing, or even poetry, and I'm hoping that my entries will start conversations about life's unexpected adventures.  I want my photography to be part of a thoughtful, prayerful life, and I want to invite you to join the journey, too!

As  I look back over the past year or so, here are some of my favorite posts:

Fun:

Thoughtful:

Nature:

Portraits and People:


Cities, Towns, Communities:




No comments: