Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Des vélos


I never ride my bike in Shrimp Town.
The roads are flanked by rocky pull-overs,
ditches with crawfish and wild thistles.  I find the roads 
beautiful, as do the egrets who wade there, I am sure,
but my hometown spoiled me with its wide and flat bike lanes,
and I'm scared to ride here with ditches on one side and
trucks barreling past on the other.


But when I see a bicycle I feel a little twinge
guilt that I don't ride mine
or joy remembering the whirring sound the wheels make.
I think they are beautiful, too.


I see them often in the City Where the Water Bends,
some old, some new.
Some have been ridden more recently than others.


Who are they waiting for?
Where will they go next?





My bike waits, too.
I might get up the courage to ride it around again.


Do you have a bike?
Where has it taken you?


No comments: