Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Catalog (50/366)







Today was a day that was preposterously beautiful:  the world was full of light and everything shone brightly; the clouds were like guests from a fairy-world.  When the sun set, it filled the sky with tongues of hot-pink flame.  So I didn't take a picture of it; it would have been in vain.

I was fascinated instead by the card catalog.  Since the days of Google and electronic catalogs, I approached have card catalogs with an air of awe and trepidation.  How did scholars of old do it?  I mean, it worked when I was in elementary school and was researching the polio vaccine - I looked up "Salk, Jonas," and "poliomyelitis" - but how would I function now that I'm so used to WorldCat and Ebscohost and multiple search terms?  The sheer majesty of this library's card catalog system inspires admiration and reverence - both for the librarians who made it and the scholars who relied on it. 

3 comments:

Yankee, Transferred said...

What a wonderful shot. I have always, always loved a library card drawer, myself.

angelfeet said...

I'm a fan too - the promise of information. Great shot.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

You are so right. I don't know how they did it. The more you think about it the more amazing it is.

I love your description of the day and the sky. Very poetic. The beauty of the sky is beyond capture.