Sunday, February 10, 2008

Winter Weather (41/366)





My students drifted into confirmation class and quickly settled in to their journal-writing.   As I've said, they're a quiet bunch, so all inside was still and calm.  But the snow was driving outside, blown parallel to the ground by blasts of wind.   My students and I were both a little startled when one of the boys (arriving late) burst in as if blown by the wind himself, shook the snow out of his hair, and yowled, in what was surely the loudest thing ever spoken in my classroom, "It's a HURRICANE out there!"
He was pretty much right, though.  Today's weather was almost apocalyptically strange.   I woke up to a bright and clear day, the sun sparkling off of the snow that had dusted us yesterday; the world was gleaming and crisp.   Around noon, though, the skies darkened and belched out snow, in big wet clumps, and thunderclaps.  The weather changed again by the time I left for confirmation class; the sun had appeared and all was calm: deep blue sky and clouds draped like strands of pearls across the sky.  It changed again by the time class started, and we watched the flakes and sleet blow across our window, across the churchyard, across the sky.  

UPDATE:  After I posted, the gale force winds picked up and actually blew my roommate's window out of the frame and into his room, where (luckily) it landed on his bookbag and did not break.  He said (not knowing how I had described the weather in the post above) that he was so scared he thought it was the second coming.  All of the housemates mobilised and quickly secured the window again, and we are all cosy and comfy.

2 comments:

Yankee, Transferred said...

WOW! Great photo and quite a story.

Ampersand said...

I love the perspective in this one. The weather is crazy cold and gusty here too.