Monday, February 18, 2008

Security (49/366)






I love my cupboard.  It's one little space in the house I share with other students that is all mine, and I take great pride in keeping it neat and well-stocked.  I love going to the store and returning home to stuff my cupboard and perhaps reorganize — the joy!  I always know exactly what I have and where I can find what I need; plus, I delight in the comfort of a full cabinet. I had one roommate last year who hated to have food in her cabinet - she was always on a mission to use up her supplies and eat all of her snacks.  Not me!  My provisions last as long as I can make them.

Last spring, we read excerpts of Dorothy Day's The Long Loneliness and From Union Square to Rome.  Dorothy reflected on the funny ways of people - how so often we surround ourselves and bolster ourselves up with insignificant material things in a quest to feel secure, not remembering that our security comes from God.  I sat in class and thought about my little cupboard at home, full of spaghetti and spices and safety. 

4 comments:

bsouth said...

I want your cupboard! It looks so clean, tidy and, above all, interesting!

Ampersand said...

I love your cupboard too!

And isn't the word "cupboard" cute?

Audrey Mango said...

yes, it's such a lovely word!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Me too. I love when I've just come home from shopping and everything is nicely put away. The world is cozy and full of possibility. This joy in cupboards gets more so when you know you have little ones who are always hungry.

I see you like the same kind of tea as me.